
When I was in undergrad at the esteemed Wayne State College (okay, you can stop laughing now), I would frequently sit in the library and read whatever I could find that interested me under the auspices of studying some boring chemistry text or other. Most of what I know about Linux is a result of those halcyon days but that is another (incredibly fucking boring) story altogether.
One of my favorite books from that time was Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman! I've always found scientists fascinating people but was never smart or patient enough to read their desiccated prose. Richard Feynman excluded.
If you're a science geek but aren't that smart (like me) you'll love Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It's like the book version of the most absorbing A&E Biography you've ever seen except you'll learn more than your average episode about John Stamos.
Science geek porn (no pictures)
Posted by
keith
on
5/15/2006 03:30:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm pleased to hear your accolades for Surely You're Joking. While at the august Hastings College, I can recall reading it in the library when I should have been reading about tribal strife in Nigeria. I don't remember much about the book except something about him finding out the combinations to the lock to his colleague's safe and putting out sugar to create long trains of ants. I may be dreaming these anecdotes up from some other book, though I hope not. I also enjoyed "What Do You Care What Other People Think," which I believe is basically SYJMF 2.
As to the Bryson book, I have not read it, but my significant other raves about how good it is.
I especially enjoyed your line in this post about you not being that smart, however, this makes the rest of us - i.e. those of us not qualified to deal with drunk, deaf people - feel quite lacking in intellect.
To anyone who may be interested, I've posted about Bush's visit to Yuma over at theyumanity.blogspot.com. And though I haven't yet mastered creating links, I do have photos!
Out.
I cannot believe that you fall into self-depricating remarks like not that smart... You know more crap than anyone I know... Please save the self deprication for a compost heap over on some pansy ass flower garden blog.
Post a Comment